Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Carry on regardless

My week's theme seems to be about hurdles. I don't know how it has happened but since the end of January we seem to have not stopped at all. If it's not one thing, it's another.

I lost the plot on Monday. The kids had tanties, breakages and goodness knows what before they even got of the door, I was having a health hurdle and not at all feeling in a state to prep the after-school birthday party that was planned for that day, I had things I had to sort out that I didn't know how I was going to sort out, the hubster was going away overnight on Tuesday (Lillipilli's birthday) and that was just the night that Pikalily's high school were doing their open night.

And then the sliding door completely and utterly jammed.  I mean, it really really mega jammed. To the point where I could see that party guests were going to have to come into the house via the kitchen!

I think I may have kicked the door and screamed.

Don't feel sorry for me. I'm fine now. I'm sure you've had those days haven't you?  Sometimes all it takes is a massive meltdown to pop the bubble.

It's amazing the calm that comes after the storm. Thank God for God. Thank God he doesn't mind us completely losing the plot but just quietly picks up the pieces.

Some of the things have got sorted, I managed to unstick the door (who knows how!!), I got an odd situation unravelled and managed to get the meds I needed that day, the high school open night and hubster being away went better than expected, the party went well and party girl felt celebrated.

Other things are not sorted but are in limbo or still a problem and funnily enough that's ok.

Sometimes life feels a bit like we are running the 100m but hampered. Like running it as a three-legged race when everyone else is running by themselves.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we'll always have something to hamper us or hinder us but that we have to learn to carry on regardless. That's the environment where faith grows best. When we can't do anything at all to change a situation and we have to trust God completely to sort it out. We bring our loaves and fishes and he feeds thousands. We do our part and rest knowing that his faithfulness shields us and protects us, he will absolutely 100% do the rest when we ask him to.

I've been thinking over the last couple of months how ironic it is that we bring our one problem to God and ask him to sort it out and then we wait for that to be sorted out before we'll trust him with the next thing. More often than not though, while one thing is in the pipeline, we have to trust him for another dozen things.

I once had a rather humourous encounter.  I had asked God quite obstinately and firmly for an answer on a specific thing and I wanted to hear through someone well-known at the Christian conference I was attending at the time. To my shock I was pulled out of a queue by someone very well known in the Christian world and excited and a bit nervous, I waited to hear what they said. After a minute of praying this man said simply...

It's going to be great.

I went back to my seat completely baffled and a bit miffed with God.

What exactly is going to be great? What do I do about this situation? What decision do I take? That helps me not one jot!

Now the hubster and I laugh together. Whatever situation we are facing where we don't know what to do we look at each other and say

Whatever happens, we know it's going to be great!

And it is! It was the perfect word for us and has brought us so much peace in so many strange situations.

Whatever happens to you or I, we know that God is going to turn it out for good and not evil. He has plans to prosper us and not to harm us (Jer 29:11). We might have our agenda and how we want a certain situation to turn out but whether it goes that way or another, we know it's going to be great, it's going to be well with our souls, and it may even turn out to be great in the sense of large scale and wonderful too.

Sometimes we just need to keep in mind that it is going to be great, that whatever is hampering us will one day be behind us, that there is 'another side' to what we are going through, that we are going through it and not staying in it.

I've been mulling that verse over that says seek first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added to you. In other words, ask God for what you need, trust him to provide and then do the things that he puts on your heart to do. Give anyway, listen patiently, love regardless, serve faithfully, rest well, encourage whole-heartedly. My natural tendancy is to put off doing all those things until my needs have been sorted but I'm challenged to set aside all the crap going on in the back of my head and love others as best as I can. That's what I think seeking the kingdom of God is about.

How about you? Are you feeling hampered and hindered? Or are you in a season where you are enjoying the liberty of running freely? How do you set aside the things that are weighing on you and seek God's kingdom first? Have you got fed up with persevering? Have there ever been one too many hurdles and you've spit the dummy? What happened?

Heb 12:1-3 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.


14 comments:

  1. Thanks Sophie. I needed to be reminded of this too. A few too many tantrums around here from little girls and a big one. I appreciate what you share so often. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love to you Remaliah, especially as you look after your little ones with all the frustrations and joys that brings xx

      Delete
  2. Oh this season. There is so much going on in our lives - I have multiple blog posts started, but will probably not publish one of them because what God is walking us through is too personal to share with blog readers and social media friends. But yes, it's going to be good. Sometimes I can't see through the details, and sometimes I am overwhelmed by the magnitude of what He is asking us to do, but I rest in knowing that He is writing this story, and He will give me the grace and wisdom to deal with it... but not until I need it.

    Here's hoping your week IS good! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Love to you Carrie, be undaunted!

      Delete
  3. Many times of being fed up....too hard to keeping pushing...but hindsight always proves that it is well worth the perseverance and HE does always show up xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He does! Somehow I don't know HOW he will but it's incredible how things that seem like they will never get resolved work out in the oddest of ways.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for such an honest post! I've had my fair number of meltdowns, and it is completely true that God is always there to pick up after us, set us on our feet, then help us to move forward with more faith and determination. My friend Nichole recently wrote about how turning to God helped her out of her own perfection complex, and how much better her life is. http://goo.gl/J6jzNj I think the two of you are onto the same cure for running through life's hindrances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this link Lauren, I love her article and I can see how I struggle with perfectionism and so does one of my children. I love that we are a work in progress!

      Delete
  5. Loved this post - so true - being hampered is the best breeding ground for faith and trust. and I feel hampered more often than not so I am going to remind myself that this is a good thing! No matter what happens, it's going to be great! Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that God knows best what we need to hear. While it would be nice to have everything in a little box that says 'this is going to happen', doesn't hearing 'it's going to be great' make us relax but STILL have to trust him for the little details. He's good like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love too how efficient he is in his communication! Instead of giving us an answer that fits only one particular circumstance he gives us a word that fits so many many situations and is a constant reassurance.

      Delete
  7. Urghh - just wrote a comment and then hit the wrong button... gah!!!!!

    I understand - we have had a month and a half now of bad health - 2x colds, infections and now a tummy bug doing the rounds. It is summer, and we just haven't been able to relax and enjoy it yet. VERY very over-it and quite close to a tanty myself. It has been a LONG year, and this past few weeks just top it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thinking of you Elizabeth, it's very hard when you've had such a long difficult run of it. Rest well and know that inspite of all these things that are going on you are loved by God and that he is sustaining you and helping you come through all these things and not stay in them.

      Delete

I love your comments and hearing what you think about the thoughts that I've recorded on this blog. Thank you to everyone who regularly comments. To those of you who are just popping by, I'd love to hear from you. Please keep it clean and respectful.